Description

Live Chat: Discord.
Get the latest builds: Patreon.
Get Mods here: Reddit.
Public Version for Heroine Rescue Team (v0.51): Here.
Download for Heroine Rumble is at the Heroine Rumble page.

Friday, May 15, 2020

Jiggle jiggle



Here is a video showing some of the new things: https://twitter.com/i/status/1261135017922592768.

And here are the more in depth explanations:

This week I started a major restructuring of the skeleton system. It's a stepping stone  towards the ultimate goal of supporting the outfit customization system and modding system. That part was just completed.

The resource usage was optimized and I saw a reduction of ~30% total memory usage. But enlit3d, why does that matter? Well, it means that the game will be both faster to start and less lag when spawning new units. So that's nice.

But also, the restructuring also enabled me to added a couple of features that I didn't want to add in the old system that I know will become obsolete. So that's what the video is mostly about - jiggles, look ats, eye blinks.

I also added a WASD-control scheme outside of combat. This type of control is probably more familiar to players. (The mouse click and move works too.) Note that there is no collision handling yet, but that's probably okay atm.

On the game side of things, I incorporated feedback and implemented these changes:

1) units will regen HP up to their red HP bar outside of combat. I think that's only fair since I imagine most people will bring a healer in their party, and having a healer will enable unlimited heals to the entire party. So this change removes the tedium of having to manually wait and heal everyone.

2) I swapped the MIDDLE mouse and RIGHT mouse buttons. So RIGHT button is now rotating camera and MIDDLE button is the panning. In addition, mouse button will no longer undo the movement. The same feature is found in a separate "Undo" button above the ability bar when applicable. I think undo movement is definitely the right idea in a tactics game, but binding it to mouse button is too ambitious. So now it is a separate button. RIGHT button rotate is probably the more familiar setup to most players, too. (The original design was motivated by RIGHT button -undoing movement, but since that is gone, going for RIGHT button rotate is better)

4 comments:

  1. sure it was not nice to let "heroine rescue team" fall or stop get it done but this looks very good. I wish you good luck with this. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree the HRT thing sucked, but I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  2. I thought you were talking about HRT until you mentioned "units" and then I got sad.
    Is HRT ever coming back, or is this, uh, strategy combat thing the new focus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel sad it was gone or dead or just given up on but he might go back to it with the new engine even though i was hoping someone can just continue with the old engine but don't ask me lol i don't know the first thing about making just saying i'm surprised no one asked to continue working on it

    ReplyDelete