Description

Live Chat: Discord.
Get the latest builds: Patreon.
Get Mods here: Reddit.
Public Version for Heroine Rescue Team (v0.51): Here.
Download for Heroine Rumble is at the Heroine Rumble page.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

A question about combat. (patreon poll open to everyone)

POLL HERE

Implemented collision handling across multiple chunks. The "seams" in between chunks were a PIA to handle but it seems to be working correctly now. Also added save/loading functionality for maps. And after sometime playing basically Minecraft-lite, made this:





Anyways, what this means is that the voxel terrain system is functional enough for me to start considering implementing/porting gameplay elements. And while I decided on the Mount & Blade directional attack/block system, I am undecided on whether or not characters should be able to move in any direction while using their melee attack.

So for example, in fighting games, and SoulBourne games, the characters can not control the movement during their swing; once they start their melee attack, their movement pattern is set from the start to the end.

In contrast, in Mount and Blade and say, shooters, attacking is independent of movement. So a character can move freely while attacking.

Which one do you prefer?

4 comments:

  1. Heroine Rumble's v5 post is still the first thing I see when I open this blog. Could you just put these posts on the home tab as well, considering that aside from any bugfixes on the way, its pretty much done?

    On topic, I don't have much experience with games that have set attack moving, so I can't say which I would prefer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do prefer non locking combat, why? Because it does open up more freedom to your attacks, for example, you can bluff enemy that you will attack making try and block and then quickly change the attack or do a guard break instad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally would prefer non-locking combat, but may I ask what the relative difficulty is between implementing the two? I am only somewhat in favor of free swinging, but if it would be difficult or significantly lengthy to implement I would prefer the easier one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive played a 3D game called sword hime. It had free moving combat. I remember strafing backwards while the animation was punching forwards. Overall, I liked it even though it was a long time ago and I had to go online to find the jp translations. Very tiring yes.

    ReplyDelete